Tuesday, 6 March 2012

Pinaddicts Pinterest Challenge

For my second Pinterest make I found this:
Click on the link and then the photo to go to the original page.

I found this tutorial way before I got Pinterest and had copied it into word with the link (thank God Pinterest was made, makes it SO much easier)!

My parents had an extension a few years ago now, but had some left over tiles and had some cut up once all the floor was finished (I say some...the Polish builder didn't understand my Mums sarcasm when she said to cut 100, she felt mean when she came back from work to find a HUGE pile) they are lovely limestone tiles that would look great alone, however when I varnished them a few months back they went all streaky so had affectively ruined them, they would have stayed in one of my many craft boxes for months if it wasn't for this challenge!



Instead of Mod Podge I used glue and water (as I will be varnishing them properly at the end anyway) make sure the mixture is about 1/2 PVA and 1/2 water. I had some origami paper I found on offer the other month so used some of that, then once I had taken these photos I thought I could try it with some wall paper samples (not that I take these without ever intending to wallpaper my house...)!

I placed the tiles top side down on the paper I was using and used a scalpel to cut around the paper. Then I spread a layer of the glue mixture on the tiles and squared up the paper and pressed down (easier said than done, stupid air bubbles)! Then gave another coat of the glue mixture, let it completely dry and repeat once or twice more. 

For the bottom of the tiles on two I used a square of felt, simply glued to the surface. For the other two I had some double sided foam dots (didn't realise they were double sided until I'd stuck them on) so then cut a small circle of the same felt used for the other two tiles and stuck to the foam dot. This will be a bit of a tester to see which works best. 


Sorry the photos aren't the best, the lights not great in this place. I still have to varnish them but thought I would do that after taking the photos as it takes a quite a while to dry. They will make a nice change from my smart price coasters!

This is part of the Pinaddicts Pinterest challenge, to enter or follow the rest of the entries please pop over to melksham mum






10 comments:

  1. They look really effective and will make fab coasters. I love the patterns on the paper.
    Note to self - don't be sarcastic with any builders!
    Thanks for linking up x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, haha luckily it was one of my Dad's builders, he must have thought we were made wanting that many! x

      Delete
  2. Love those tiles. Gorgeous! Going to try mixing PVA glue with water. Much cheaper than modge podge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I have heard that the PVA/Water mixture isn't as good if you don't do some sort of varnish on top though as it apparently doesn't last as long a the mod podge-explains why it's so expensive!

      Delete
  3. They look wonderful, such lovely paper and what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are pretty! I have a load of tiles left over from our kitchen from two houses ago that could be made up like these! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it is a great way to use them, otherwise like you say they just get left for ages don't they! x

      Delete
  5. They are PRETTY...love...Love...LOVE!! x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment :)

Gadget

This content isn't available over encrypted connections yet.