Thursday 6 March 2014

Our holiday: The flight

Read below for my tips for flying with young children.

Not going to lie I hate travelling, flying probably being the worst form.

I'm not afraid, but it's the whole not being able to get off, and out for some fresh air that gets me.

That and being stuck like sardines in a tin.

I've personally never flown long haul, the longest flight I have been on was my first to Cyprus, so I was quite apprehensive.

Off course throwing in 2 lively boys  into the equation too make me more so!

Sam was sat on our laps, so we had 3 seats, I'd forgotten how little leg room you get in cattle class economy (not that I have ever flown any differently)!

We didn't have the only young children which was a big relief to me too.

They had the on screen entertainment which was great for the kids, however it wasn't very touch sensitive so it wasn't great for Alex as it kept moving the seat in front, something for Virgin to work on I think. The actual content that was on them was more than enough-just a shame Alex to a liking to the games that require touching the screen a lot.

Talking of the chairs in front. They were a bit rude as a couple, ignoring the air hostess when she asked them to do something before take off and having to ask 2 or 3 times. I had a feeling that wasn't the end of it.

They reclined as soon as they could (despite not actually sitting back against the chair), baring in mind we had Sam on our laps-we really didn't have much room at all.

Now considering the flight was about 9 1/2 hours and the time waiting to take off I don't think the boys were too badly behaved. For the most part they were quiet, a little fidgety but nothing I wouldn't have expected.

Alex literally knocked their seat a few times over the 9 hours, and often when he was trying to get past to go to the toilet or to see James' parents a couple of rows back-every time we slightly moved I felt their burning stares at us!  Had they moved their seats forward there would have been little issue at all.

Border control was the most intimated I have ever felt, they really are very serious and Alex was in a jokey mood!

Anyway that all went by in a distant haze, I'd almost forgotten about it until the nerves returned for the flight home.

Thankfully it was only 7 1/2 to 8 hours on the way home so that was a saving grace.

The boys really were very good, it was Sam's bedtime when we took off and he was already asleep. Alex watched and played things and fell asleep after some of his dinner.

I suddenly felt very ill, although thankfully wasn't physically so had a few rough hours but we got through it!

My top tips

1. Bring snacks with you, flight food still isn't great.
Savoury snacks like bread sticks, rice cakes, and biscuits went down well with the boys. 

2. Bring a bottle of water.  

3. A pack of sucky sweets for take off and landing for children (and yourself).

4. If you have a baby or toddler that is bottle fed, bring plenty of bottles and buy milk before take off-it can keep them quiet for a short while!

5. Take a couple of stories, tablet, and sticker books to keep the kids occupied. 

6. Take a deep breath-it probably won't be as bad as you think!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness it looks like you had an awesome time! We went when Luka was 18 months and can't wait to go back again. We loved the Its a Small World- I remember if from when i was a kid!
    x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did thank you! Alex is already saying that he wants to go back! xx

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment :)