Monday 22 October 2012

Birthday and Christmas presents, how much do you spend on your children?



It's our son's third birthday in November and of course Christmas the following month, I have bought a few things over the year in sales (mainly ELC) but it doesn't really look or cost that much.  I don't want to buy too many little bits and pieces, and would rather buy something that will last and be played with rather than hide in a cupboard and get forgotten about, but he is at the age where they love opening things.

Also I think there is pressure of a sort when people ask what you getting them, after listening to how much they are spending on their children, even at this young age. 

I have been looking on eBay this week at Duplo sets for Alex as he really likes the set he had last year, and I have been wondering whether to try and get some fire station or police station sets on there, but I have my doubts. I feel a bit weird buying second hand things for a present, but don't really know why, as you can get so much more for your money and something like Duplo always looks in good condition. 

So just wondering, how much do you usually spend on your children on their Birthday/Christmas presents? Have you ever saved money by buying things second hand for a present?

I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions. 

8 comments:

  1. i really try not to spend too much but always get a bit carried away coz i see nice things that they'd love... esp stocking gifts! not sure how much it all adds up to but i definitely try to be on the frugal side.. esp at this age where they don't really know how much your spending. i'm not very god at it though. making stuff would be lovely. i have thought of sewing dresses for my little girl. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too get carried away sometimes, the kids sales are always so much better than adult ones! I have made stuff before, just don't really have the time to do so this year, making a dress for your little girl sounds like a great project to do though.

      Delete
  2. I'm happy to spend money to get a bike or a scooter as its a gift that last for years, so you only have to pay out occasionally. I've given 2nd hand as presents to my kids - last year my son got 3 Bob the builder vehicles that I found in the charity shop - they cost me the sum total of £3 but they are in perfect condition and he would never know.
    I'm also a bargain hoarder. 2 days before Christmas last year I nipped to Tesco for something I had forgotten and found a playmobil pirate ship reduced from £50 to £25 - so I bought it for my son for this year (we'd already got gifts for that year). I never would have bought him something that cost £50, so I grab a bargain when I see it, its the only way they are going to get pricey toys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I grab the bargains when I can too, that way they get the expensive gifts without it breaking the bank, and you don't mind quite as much if they don't play with it as much as you'd like them to! Like you said I'd be more than happy to pay for something big like a bike, but Alex doesn't really need anything like that at the moment I am finding it quite hard for ideas this year!

      Delete
  3. I do think Lego duplo although expensive is worth the money if Lego is something they enjoy playing with. Tesco direct have some half price at the moment. I am trying not to get too carried away this year. When I add up all the presents my son will get from grandparents, aunts and uncles he really doesn't need me to buy him that many (even though I do get tempted.) I just need to try and employ self restraint!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think you are right about the Duplo-after looking on eBay over the last week they Duplo seems to be going for almost full price when you factor in postage so may just look out for the offers, there is one set I like on 3 for 2 in boots, but it's out of stock! It's not to get carried away when it comes to the kids sometimes isn't it, I definitely need some self restraint also!

      Delete
  4. We do try not to get carried away, but sometimes when things are on special offer it's easy to get tempted. We bought my son's Christmas present second hand last year - a huge box of wooden train tracks from eBay. It was brilliant, we were able to get loads more than if we had bought it new and he loves it (he plays with it almost every day!). We stock up on things through the year too when we see something at a good price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Train tracks are great second hand aren't they, we inherited a lot of our younger siblings old ones our parents still had-they stay in such good condition!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment :)